Monday, October 20, 2014

First Days in Ubon

Hello!  My first post from Thailand.  My travels were long and exhausting, but everything went as planned.  After a stop for some sightseeing in Taiwan I arrived Wednesday morning October 15th in Thailand.


Some sights from Taiwan. 



Ceramics Museum 



My first days in Ubon were met with many kind welcomes and good meals.  As well as settling into my mansion, Thai apartment.  I'll give you a quick tour of my apartment, school, and main road in Ubon. 





For the full tour see below :)



It is hard to get used to these little guys scurrying around on the ceiling!

 The sports field


 The new school building which will be finished within the next year. 

And should look something like this. 




Yup, I'm that American girl taking selfies in front of her school. 
 The main road in Ubon.  Notice anything familiar!


The other side of the main road and again familiar American sights.  I was surprised to find that there are many American things in Ubon including, KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks, Annie Anne's Pretzels, Dairy Queen, and more!  As it turn out there is not much I will be missing as far as foods and shopping.  Ubon also has two large shopping malls, with most anything you could need.  As it turns out I have a bigger shopping selection than in Vermont!  I was most excited to found TimTam's a delicious cookies that anyone who's been to New Zealand or Australia should know about.

The weather in Thailand very warm! For me it feels like the peak of Vermont summer, but this it is approaching winter in Thailand.  I am a little nervous for the hot season, but so far the weather has been fine.  There is also air conditioning in many places, and I have air conditioning at my mansion and at school.

The first rain felt a bit different from home.

The sky looked like this as the rain was pouring down!! And it was still hot!



Learning Thai has also been a challenge.  Slowly though I am learning the essentials, and luckily many kind Thai teachers have helped act as translators as well as becoming fast friends.  One of the main challenges is the fact that the sounds and written language are so very different from English.  Thai is also a tonal language, and varying tones can change the meaning of a word.  These small distinctions are very hard to distinguish if you are not fluent in the language, certain sounds are also different than English.  I've found great apps and online resources and have had some time to continue to practice.  So I am sure with time I will have enough Thai to more easily have conversations and go about daily life.

Although it is an adjustment to a different lifestyle, climate, and language.  I feel welcomed in Ubon and am excited for my coming weeks and months, teaching, learning, and exploring.

Be in touch!!

1 comment:

  1. I was so happy to see your blog this morning. Urban looks very interesting. The one pic looks quite charming and another, with the KFC, looks like a city. That's nice to have both. I can picture you with a bicycle or scooter with baskets of flowers.
    Keep those photos coming.

    ReplyDelete