Tuesday, November 18, 2014

First Weeks Teaching in Thailand




I made it through my first two weeks of an official teaching job (and technically more since I'm posting this late)!! I enjoyed my first week two weeks.  Although I would lying if I did not say it was not overwhelming and surprising.  There were moments when I just kept going along, hoping I was actually teaching something, and not just wasting the little time I actually have with students. 

At Assumption College Ubon I teach secondary students, from 7-12th grade.  I teach eight classes of students! I teach three different classes of 7th graders, two classes of 8th graders, then one class in 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students.  It was a bit overwhelming at first, so many students, a education system I am unfamiliar with and a vastly different school culture.

After two weeks though, I am getting my feet under me.  The first week let me get a bit of a picture of what teaching will likely be like for the next year.  The second week allowed me to start practice teaching English as a Second Language, something very different from my 4 years of college in Elementary Education.  And I’m hoping my third week will let me start to create some expectations and normalcy in my classes (which it seems like is happening).

It’s challenging because there is a big variety of ability in English.  Also some students are very high achieving, whereas others try to do the least amount of work, if any at all. 

Overall, behavior has not been much of a problem.  The only real problem is that the students like to chat in Thai throughout classes and as I am speaking, a few groups of students are particularly challenging.  The Thai teachers help a lot with this though, and help to manage the students.  So I think that if I am firmer with them in the next couple weeks, hopefully it will simply become easier with time.  There are also tricks I am picking up, having students stand up when talking or sleeping in class, an easy embarrassment and quick fix to keep them on their toes.  Always being ready to ask students questions.

Luckily the first week of classes was largely introductions and then celebrating Halloween, because quiet honestly it’s pretty hard to prepare to teach when you don’t really have any idea what to expect of a classroom. 

I really enjoyed Halloween. The teachers in the EBP (English Bilingual Program) office also dressed up, and we had a small assembly for the younger kids. 



Some of my students in M 1 (7th grade). 


Thai education is certainly different than in America.  There is a lot of flexibility with what you teach, and the expectations for students vary greatly. The atmosphere here though, with teachers and students, is friendly and relaxed, and I can see myself enjoying teaching here. 

After my first weeks teaching I also had time to relax on the weekend.  I went with many of the teachers in the office to a Halloween party at a place called the Outside Inn, which is a restaurant/bar/hostel run by an American and his Thai wife.  The owners are great people, and I was excited to have a delicious American style burger and relax outside by some Thai greenery. 

I also have a bike now!! Thai kindness comes through again and Busaba (someone you’ll likely continue to hear about), a teacher from school lent me her extra bike. It is great to have easier transport.  It now takes me about two minutes to go to school and grocery shopping and exploring the city are much easier.

So this past weekend, although hot on the bike, I explored around and have a much better understanding of how to get around.  I did a bit of shopping at a Thai market, made it down to the river and had a yummy banana pineapple smoothie at Moon Lover as I wrote my blog.  I stopped by the Ubon Library, and now am headed back to do a little prep for school next week. 

All in all, I’ve enjoyed my couple weeks in Thailand and am excited to settle in, learn more Thai, and continue traveling and exploring.  A great help too, I found the tourist center and got my collections of maps and pamphlets about things to do. 

Next you’ll likely here about my trip to Laos in order to get my visa, as well as hopefully the upcoming Surin elephant festival!

1 comment: