Monday, November 3, 2014

Phibun



I had a week before school begins to settle into my apartment and explore around the city, including getting myself lost.  I was also kindly invited to another teacher’s second home in the town of Phibun, just a bit outside of Ubon.  I graciously accepted glad to have something to do, and the opportunity to see more places in Thailand. 

My first visit to Phibun I was happily greeted by lush green rice fields.  It is harvest time now.  I also loved Busaba and Tao’s lovely home.  Busuba affectionately calls it her palace, and is planning to retire here within a few years. 







She has also opened an English center where she teaches a few classes of young students each week.  I helped teach and really enjoyed myself.  It got me excited for my first week of teaching at Assumption. 



The students wrote my name in Thai for me. 


After a morning of teaching, we drove towards the border of Laos to where the Mekong River and Moon River meet. 






It is especially beautiful because you can see both Laos and Thailand, and the two rivers come together with different colors.  The Mekong being red-brown meeting the bluer, clearer waters of the Moon River.  
Do you see the two colors meeting??


I think our smiles say it all!  


We also visited the temple. 

 I paid my respect to the monk, and made wishes for the future. 





We then headed home, but not without stopping to get Sala Pow, delicious dumplings that are famous in Phibun. 

1 comment: