Saturday, November 8, 2014

To the Village



Before school began I had the opportunity to see life in a quieter Thai village, as well as participate in donating food to monks and paying respect to the dead through a Buddist ritual.

Busaba, who you may feel like your getting to know, invited me to join her in going to her hometown, a small village near the Sisaket, an 1 ½ or so drive from Ubon.

The night before I had been invited over for dinner where I helped make pad thai and curry!!

First we went to the market and picked out all the fresh foods to cook with. 


 A little different than home, with all kinds of raw meat and fish for sale.
 Busaba hard at work buying pad thai ingredients. 

 Yum Yumm!!
 Nui and Busaba cooking away!!
Yet another delicious meal!!

The following day we left Ubon around eight in the morning and drove towards Sisaket.  We arrived at the temple early and began preparing the foods that would be eaten by the monks. Slowly more people came with different foods, and we continued to prepare a very nice meal for the monks. I also had the privilege of meeting all but one of Busaba’s sisters.





After the meal we went to the temple and paid respect to Busaba’s family who had passed away. 






Once the ceremony was completed.  We went to the village, to were Busaba’s parents had once lived.  We shared a meal together, of course delicious since Busaba prepared it all herself. 


Then I got a tour. I was shown her parents home, the barns, with cows and chickens.  The gardens with herbs and banana trees. Then we relaxed, made flowers from banana leaves and cut bamboo to use to cook later.


The home Busaba's parents used to live in. 


 I kept hearing the song, "Do your ears hang low, do they wobble to and fro, can your tie them in a knot, can you tie them in a bow." as I snapped pictures of the cows.





 Bamboo for cooking rice inside. 
Banana Leaves. 

Then we headed back to Ubon. 
Busaba's car which sports a well worn I love Vermont sticker. 

On the way home we stopped at an Pagoda ruins. 










My trip to the village was lovely and I saw the relaxed pace of life in one of the villages of Thailand, as well as seeing some history and more aspects of the culture.


No comments:

Post a Comment